Thursday, November 01, 2007

PTC buys CoCreate...why?

I just grinned ear to ear when I read this. Not sure exactly why? Perhaps, because I can't for the life of me figure out how PTC will incorporate yet another technology that is quite different than Pro/engineer into their portfolio. But maybe that's the cool part, I am now intrigued and will be watching it closely.

I have used both CoCreate and Pro. Definitely, not a power user of either but can drive both fairly well. They couldn't be any more different. That, again, that is what intrigues me. Also, how will ICEM Surf come into play? Are all three going to be merged into a new hybrid blend?? Lots of buzz out there about hybrid modelers.

I'd love to be in the product management meetings. Maybe I am the only one? But what a challenge - both technically and commercially.


I wonder if PTC is feeling the heat from the new comer, SpaceClaim? SC has a similar non-feature based approach that CoCreate has been preaching all along. I have been driving SC for the last few months. I think the interface is awesome (check the image above). Totally different approach than the traditional CAD tools on the market. Lots of grabbing and dragging. I use it primarily to create and modify models for analysis. So it works nicely for me. But then again, I am in the targeted market for SC. Check out the cool image below.

No comments: