Friday, July 25, 2008

Taking on Goliath

I feel like I am a fairly progressive adopter of new technology, the latest thing etc. However, I am usually a bit behind the early adopters. Meaning, I love trying out the coolest new thing, but rarely am I the first guy on it. I usually need someone else to be the guinea pig and give me a taste.

Enter Firefox. I have heard from close to everyone how cool Firefox is and felt way behind. So I just downloaded and installed Firefox3. Very cool from a User's Experience. I wont bore you with all of the cool features. What I noticed is how simple the process was to install. I downloaded, installed and it recognized IE, grabbed all of my favorites/bookmarks etc. I was up and running in a few mins. Clean, non-cluttered interface. Awesome!

I have always been a fan of Microsoft for the most part, so I am not a renegade guy always going against the grain. But the Mozilla guys took a huge chance going against the behemoth who essentially "gives away" their browser but they are still gaining ground everyday. There is a great interview in Wired this month with the Mozilla CEO. It is extremely expiring to see a group of people that believe in what they do, ban together and make a difference.

A great friend and mentor recently said...

"Do not think that a few people with a common purpose can not change the world, indeed, it is the only thing that ever has..."

1 comment:

Burhop said...

I've got to agree. In fact as I've plugged into more and more social media, I've found Flock (based on Mozilla Firefox) to give me even more. http://www.flock.com

Dragging and dropping photos, tracking multiple chanels (twitter, Flickr, Facebook, youtube, etc.) has been nice.