Monday, April 20, 2009

A lot can be said for traveling by train...

Some people are taking stabs on Obama's claims of rail travel being green. I didn't perform a massive survey, but common sense tells me that railroad travel can certainly help the environment. My travel schedule and mode of travel has changed drastically this year. Over the last four years, I traveled ~375k+ miles in the air. Things have changed a bit this year and I have chosen to take more local trips by train.

Here are some of the positives...

* Gives me a solid five hours of mostly uninterrupted time to focus on work.
* Requires significant less "early arrival" time than air travel.
* In my case, the train takes me from city center to city center
* Flexible booking and cancellation policies



There are a few negatives of train travel, but the flexibility of canceling and re-booking is amazing. I fell ill last week and literally waited until a few hours before the scheduled trip, I logged into my account and canceled a re-booked for another date. Try doing this on any airline, its a nightmare, not to mention fairly costly.

My biggest wish for rail travel would be reliable high speed internet service. I have been debating about snagging a 3G card for such trips, but can't seem to justify the $60/month. I hope the rail companies take a serious look at trying to accomodate business travelers and provide internet (even if it were a paid service). I'd gladly pay $10/day for reliable access. Personally, I'd be interested in paying an annual flat rate. I know I'm not alone.

There is a ton of infrastructure work that needs to be done for the rail system. But, my experience has been fairly solid. It doesn't compare to the service available in Europe, but wouldn't require that much to be competitive. Let it be clear when I say not much - it would cost tons and require tremendous amount of work, but I think there are tons of people willing to pay for the service.

What is your rail experience like?

4 comments:

Jonah said...

When I was state side I would take the Seattle to Portland train to visit family. With reliable cell coverage its 3hrs of solid work with power outlets!

Now that I'm in the UK the 3G cards are dirt cheap ~£10/mo so when I have the possibility I hop on the train for long journeys. No traffic jams, can buy tickets on the spot, easy connections.

Excited to see the US thinking in this direction.

Unknown said...

I'll never forget my first time riding the train (not that long ago actually) - was snowed in on Long Island, all flights were cancelled, and I had to run, literally, with all my bags, to get on Amtrak going south with about 30 seconds to spare. And I didn't have time to pick up my ticket.

I half-stumbled on, with that crazy look in my eye, ready to be kicked off. I stuttered out half a story to the ticket guy, and he just looked at me for a sec and said "Relax, man. You're on the train...."

Cracked a heineken and the laptop, and thought to myself: life is good, and the train rules.

Lorenzo said...

Trains are extremely useful for medium distance travels, even if their speed is not comparable to planes, their easier access helps saving time compared to airlines check-in and securities making it worth cost and time wise.

During the past months I have been from London to Paris and Bruxelles (going back this week-end again) on the Eurostar, total travel time? 2h00-2h30 for each way, this is the same as the queue required at the airport for check-in, security and boarding.

The Japanese Bullet train is a total different experience, I thought the train was in advance by a minute and almost jumped on the wrong one. The correct one punctually arrived 30 seconds after.

So, America, go for the trains, it's fast, cheap (London Paris for £ 54 both ways anyone?) and you are not squezeed in small places!

Unknown said...

Whenever I travel I am always looking at the train tickets to see if something works. Typically though since I live in Rochester I have to go way out of the way to get anywhere.

As much as I would love to have a fast train system. I am not going to hold my breath. Anything new will probably just be around the Boston->NYC->DC line which gets the most traffic.