Wednesday, May 20, 2009

NX, gotta admit the ST stuff is awesome!

I'm the first to admit to not being a power user of UG, but over the last few years I have been driving the NX versions from time to time. I always thought it was fairly stable, but like all of the other high end CAD systems, I felt overwhelmed by the shear magnitude of features that I never really turned to it as my CAD system of choice.

Well, things are a changing. I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by CAD power users everyday. All of the CFdesign engineers are power users of at least a few of the CAD systems. So between us we are a fierce CAD modeling group. There has always been a few guys singing the praises of UG, but I just chalked it up to "anything is easy when you know it". The lights went on for me with NX6, I sat through a webex with one of our guys and he was presenting a knarly model that he did as a services project. He showed me the model as received from the customer. It was an assembly that consisted of a few CAD systems, a few STEP files and an IGES file thrown in for good measure.




He then proceeded to show me how quickly and robustly he was able to bring this dead horse back to life in a matter of no time. Check out the above preview of a minor fraction of what you can do with the ST stuff.



I will presenting this alongside CFdesign 2010 at the PLM World conference on June 4th. Click here for specifics. Would love to hear other's experience with ST - both in NX and Solid Edge. Are people driving simulations with this stuff? I know we are seeing some awesome stuff. Let's hear what you got..



2 comments:

Tmello said...

"NX, gotta admit the ST stuff is awesome!" - Agreed!

other packages have geometry tools / features that can accomplish most of the tasks the ST tool set can... However the ST features in NX are the "smartest" I've seen. In other CAD packages I have had to use multiple featuers or make multiple selections to reach a desired output that the NX ST tools can reach in one or two clicks. Using NX selection filters in conjunction with ST features allows the user to make drastic alterations fast! I still say "WOW" after it works with some of the garbage I've thrown at it.
Delete face, copy face, pull face and move face are the commands I use the most. Slick stuff...

Unknown said...

I've been an NX user for 5 or 6 years now and have always preached how much easier the package can get things done. With the implementation of ST, NX6 takes that ability and multiplies it by ten. I find that it takes me literally a fraction of the time that it takes in other CAD to go from "production-level" to "simulation-ready".

I love the new direct modeling direction that MCAD is taking at the moment, and NX is definitely leading that charge...

And for the record, the high praise from Tmello should be read twice. He's one of the top Pro/E gurus on the planet...