Wednesday, January 16, 2008

It's All About the User Interface

I have been using Camtasia software quite a bit recently to create some really cool videos on my laptop. Basically recording a bunch of "how to" videos for customers. For those that aren't familiar, Camtasia is the big brother to SnagIt. If it's still not ringing a bell, go check them out. Really cool stuff.

Constantly amazes me how much I am drawn to a really cool, well thought out and snazzy interface. I have been using Camtasia 4 for awhile and for the most part, pretty happy. Like all software took me a little time to figure it out, fell into a routine, all is well. They have some awesome recorded quick tips on how to use it etc. I watch them from time to time, very helpful.

It was new release time and every time I opened Camtasia 4 it would check for updates and give me an offer to upgrade. I robotically clicked "cancel" every time. I received the obligatory email reminding me of the upgrade. Being a software guy, I respect the persistence. They have to make a living. However, I still ignored their offer. Until one day, I was sitting in an airport, I clicked the link to check it out.


Check out the screen shot (using SnagIt) above. First thing I noticed was the familiar "Play" button in the middle of a thumbnail, so I clicked it. The surrounding window went transparent and a video with audio began showing me the "new features". Looked awesome. Second thing I noticed was that they modernized the GUI a bit, cleaned it up, changed the color scheme. They also added a quick little editing toolbar for me to use. Bottom line, it all looked cool. I understood for the most part some of the new features? I immediately saw the benefit of the editing toolbar. But what caught my attention once again was that it looked cool, easy and FUN to use. I needed to have it. I was going to be more productive with the latest version. At least, that is how I was justifying the upgrade fee.

Point is, I love videos, I don't want to read your new features. Just show me. Plus if you make it look cool, even better. Put some cool colors in there, I definitely need that. Plus if you add some functionality that I understand simply by looking at it, awesome.

I made the upgrade decision mostly only my reaction to the new look and feel of the tool that was already treating me ok. No ambition to upgrade until I saw it.

No comments: