Sunday, September 07, 2008

PTC is for sale???

I just stumbled across this little gem. With all of the mergers going on, probably not that much of a surprise. If we look at the activity of late - some of it makes sense, some of it not so much.

To me, it makes sense that Autodesk is expanding it's horizons. Expanding its simulation game by acquiring Plassotech and Moldflow. Trying to become the dominant player.

Dassault Systems seems to be aligning itself by renaming/re-branding all of their product lines. ANSYS is just buying everyone and becoming this massive behemoth of a company.

So where does this leave, good ol' PTC? Arguably they are the leaders of PLM. They recently acquired CoCreate to either expand on some of their technology or more likely, gain traction in some of the CoCreate install base to sell MathCAD, PDMLink etc??? Now, they are putting the "For Sale" sign on the window? For $2B?

I have to admit, I am not sure I fully understood why Siemens purchased UGS, so I guess this falls in the same category. Who can afford a $2B purchase? I am not sure anyone in the MCAD/FEA/CFD world, so perhaps another monster company coming in like Siemens?? Maybe Google, Microsoft? How about Apple? One can only wish!!!

2 comments:

Derrek Cooper said...

more info..

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3ccf1004-7b99-11dd-b839-000077b07658.html?nclick_check=1

Anonymous said...

This could be just a false signal PTC is sending to the Market
those guys at the top of PTC love their product and what they created. they just need to acquire more companies and they need to see their stock to go up.

In case I am wrong then I see SAP making an acquisition of PTC as MOST Likely

Since PLM is becoming more and more the driver of prodcut development product information and MORE than ERP.