Sunday, November 09, 2008

It's not always about the "Product"...

Another highly scientifically monitored survey from the staff at TheVE. We posed the question, "what browser do you use"? Check out the results below....



Ok, the fact is - probably not the fairest survey as the number of readers here is in the 100s. But a descent turnout on the responses, all limited to one response per ip address. So, its as scientific as we get here at TheVE.

Personally, I am a big fan of Firefox. But, I was pretty surprised to see how overwhelmingly it was the browser of choice. I would really like to know people's answer to "why do you use FF"?

Is it because you have specific issues with IE? Maybe specific issues with Microsoft? Some people have said, well, "Firefox is safer".

My motivation to use FF? Two reasons: I am always interested in trying out "the other guy" and I have a deep interest in supporting any Open Source project. But the bottom line, Firefox is slick, does what I need it to do and in general, it is a very good experience.


BUT- it doesn't come without its flaws. I tend to upgrade fairly regularly and noticed that FF crashes (on Vista), probably daily. Definitely annoying, but they have an option to "restart previous" option. So, it remembers where I was. What is more interesting is that in many many years of using IE, I seem to recall, at most, a handful of crashes.

So why would I choose to use a product that is more unstable? Simple - I am a fan. I believe in what they are all about. I am more willing to tolerate imperfections.

Morale of the post- its not always about the product. It is about the people, the organization, the ideas and the philosophy from where the product originates. Surely not always the case, but companies that are focused on building a community or "tribe", are often successful in spite of the products they develop.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use an RSS reader for most my browsing & it uses IE. The only crashes I've had in IE are plug in related (Flash being the worst).

Anonymous said...

Hi Derrek,
good post, I also believe it is not only about the product but about the company, the people and the environment.

An example from your post:

Based on the survey, FF is the preferred browser.

Based on your last 500 visits, FF has 213, IE has 227.
This makes IE the most used browser from your last 500 visitors.

Why the survey doesn't reflect the stats?
I would like to believe that FF users have more commitment to the product/brand, are more likely to share the fact that they are using FF and are more likely to recommend the product.

Lorenzo

PS. you can include Google Analytics on your blogger account and have nicer and more detailed stats!

Unknown said...

I like to use FF because of a few reasons. I love to do scale modeling, and hence this means that I do a lot of searches for photos. I was on a friends computer and he had FF. I noticed that it was faster. I started to test it out and then found other things that I liked about it such as spell check, tabbed browsing, tab recovery, and other addons that made the browsing experience much better. It is not that I do not like MS products, I just like products that fit my needs.

Adam