Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cloud Computing: Life with a Netbook...the beginning

I waited five long weeks for my new personal netbook. I've ranted in the past about my vision to have a small laptop, loaded with linux and other open source applications. I want to use the netbook primarily for browsing the web, email, and general office applications. The hard drive is very small, so the idea is that I will leverage online applications, online storage and backups. This premise obviously implies that I will be connected to the Internet most of the time.

So far, so good. The Dell mini came with Ubuntu Hardy Heron loaded. I ran into a few issues initially.
  • The mini is based on lpia architecture, not the standard i386. So, downloading standard applications was a pain initially. There are workarounds available, but upgrading to Intrepid Ibex, addresses this issue.
  • Dell still hasn't shipped my external DVD player, so upgrading to Intrepid required creating a Live USB. It took a bit of trial and error with the USB-Creator in Hardy. I finally got it to work and love the idea of Live USB keys to boot/install the OS. Intrepid's USB Creator is much easier to use.
Once upgraded to Intrepid, the main issue I ran into was no sound. I searched every forum I could find to try and fix the problem. The guys at DELLMINI forum, saved the day. Here is the quick fix for the sound issue on a Dell mini.


Some cool things that I am using..

ONLINE STORAGE - chose to go with Box.net; allows me to upload files from my work laptop & desktop (both Vista) & access it anywhere via the web. Also testing out Dropbox.

OFFICE APPLICATIONS - Obviously using MS Office @ works and leveraging Live Mesh & Office Live to share MS docs for work. On my netbook, I am using Open Office. Just figured out that you can open Office 2007 docs (word at least) in Open Office. This is huge for me! I am also using Google Docs quite a bit..I love the "offline" option.

BROWSER - Mozilla Firefox - across the board

IM/PHONE - Skype- working alot better on Vista lately; had to tweak the sound settings on the Linux version (Sound In = HDA Intel (hw:Intel,0); Sound Out = pulse)

MUSIC - using Rhythmbox Music Player - streaming Last.fm.

EMAIL - using Google Mail. I also have my Outlook calendar synced with my Google Calendar.

More to come on this.. Wondering if any other netbook users out there that can provide some insight, cool applications etc..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How do you sync gmail calendar with outlook? Is it bidirectional?