Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Bye-bye itunes and XM; hello Slacker & Amazon ?

I've ranted enough about itunes. Time for an alternative. Clear example of poor user experience. Some people may love it. Personally, I hate it. My main gripes...

  1. I store my library on an external drive, the same external drive everytime and itunes never remembers. So each time I plug into my network, it fails to recognize the drive. Drives me crazy.
  2. For various reasons (no comments, Charlie), I reinstall my OS fairly often. itunes only allows 5 computers per account, so I am constantly in a deauthorize/authorize war.
  3. I have more duplicates of songs than you can imagine. I am sure it is operator error, but give me a break.
  4. For an Apple product, the ui sucks. Try multi-selecting and then trying to right click to create a playlist on the fly? Just lame all around.
So, now, what's my alternative? Good question. I am not totally sure. But, I am narrowing in on a few alternatives. Evaluating Banshee and Rhythmbox. Ideally, would love the manager to be web based???

Saying goodbye to satellite radio (XM) is hitting me a bit harder. I have been a huge fan of satellite radio for a few years. Recently been dedicated to XM but at one point I had both Siruis and XM. The merger was music to my ears. I listen to XM online, in the car and via DirectTV. But recently received an email that I had to commit to a year contract in order to continue listening online or pay an additional fee. Fair enough, I tried upgrading online to pay the monthly fee, no dice. After an hour on the phone and countless solicitations to commit to a 3 year contract, I am done. Really bummed. Here is where satellite failed me.
  1. There is close to ZERO online support.
  2. The online player hasn't been upgraded in years, its clunky and old.
  3. Lack of effort supporting portable devices. They missed the boat altogether with this one. They partnered with Napster but there was no easy way to seamlessly have my music wherever, whenever.
  4. No iphone app. Biggest mistake they made and believe it was one of the final straws that they are a dinosaur and not able to quickly capitalize on a perfect oppty. I don't want yet another device to listen to my music.
I've been listening to Pandora, Last.fm and recently, Slacker. I like Pandora but the selection is limited and repeats are common. Last is ok, but the interface is too busy, I can't seem to want to use it. A friend suggested slacker. So far so good- upgrading to the Pro account for a few $ a month is worth the no commercials and unlimited skips. I like their automatic link to amazon for purchase.

I am not a slacker power user, but I do have one gripe. I am able to create a playlist by song, and it begins to play my songs but then includes "similar" songs. I want ONLY my songs???

They are also pushing their own portable player, would rather use my own mp3 or ipod player. Their iphone application is awesome! So, how about allowing me to listen "offline" for a fee for flights etc.

So, who is using Amazon? What do you think? What are you using to manage your music? How about Rhapsody, Napster, what else?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hit you up on Twitter, but I think I came across exactly what you are looking for..lala.com.

Heard about it on CNet's BOL. Looks awesome. Allows you to match your music and playlists with their legally licenced music. Can upload any music they dont have licenced, check out others playlists and its all online. There is no limit to how many songs you can upload, so basically you can put your entire music collection up on lala (songs that they actual already licence you wouldnt need to upload, you would simply access on their server).

Additionally allows you to purchase new song with unlimited plays on the web for 10 cents, or the MP3(DRM free) download for 79 cents more.

Derrek Cooper said...

whoa hold the phone.. lala might be my new BFF, hang tight, too good to be true.

Burhop said...

I'm trying Lala too!