Thursday, February 28, 2008

Philadelphia gets the nod from MLS for 2010

Super excited that Philadelphia has been announced as the 16th expansion team of the Major Soccer League in the US. This has been a long time coming. A supporter's club was formed early last year. Many of the charter members lobbied really hard to position our (sometimes misunderstood) great city as a perfect spot for an expansion team. Philly is a great sports town, I think we just get a bad rap.. (ok, we did throw snowballs at santa - I think he was asking for it!)


One of the coolest things is the new proposed pitch (stadium). Above is one of the proposed designs. I am really looking forward to season tickets. It looks like a fantastic venue right along the river.

We are still awaiting the name and team colors. I assume that will take some time. I really hope they stick with a more traditional (european) name. Philadelphia A.C. would work as the Athletics played here many years ago in the American League (baseball). For some reason, however, I think that "Liberty" will be in the name. Just a hunch. Philadelphia Liberty? I hope not. Liberty F.C., maybe! Liberty United, might be a stretch.

As for colors? Who knows - I know the supporters club has a light blue/yellow scheme. Regardless, I am excited. Looking forward to 2010.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great new, we should meet up for a match in 2010