Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Google Docs: My Future Office Tool?

I have been using Google Docs quite a bit lately. Everything from Documents, Spreadsheets to Presentations. They are Google's answer to web-based Office tools. Another check mark for On-Demand software tools for me to check out. As expected, Google Docs are pretty simple and straight forward. They have a good-majority of the tools that are in MS Office, but are definitely missing some of the bells and whistles.

When MS released Office 2007, my emotions have gone from excitement about the new interface, to frustration when looking for certain everyday features, back to excitement. I really like the interface. I use Power Point quite a bit and really like the insert image, text boxes etc features. It definitely has a "next generation" look and feel about it. Makes total sense that SpaceClaim modeled their interface almost exactly the same. The same can be said for SolidWorks, definitely has an Office 2007 vibe to it. So, if I like Office 2007 so much, why jump over to the dark side and check out Google? Well, simply put, I was curious. But the biggest niche that Google docs fills for me is the online collaboration.

Each document can have one or more "collaborators". So, a team can access and update a living breathing document all at the same time. I can even see when a member of my team is currently working on the document. This is huge for me. I travel quite a bit and work remotely when I am in the office. So, having this collaboration ability is huge. Their are many other positives to list about Google Docs as well. For example, they have the ability to work offline and sync as needed once connected. They seem to work well with MS files both ways (they open and save out). Plus check out below you can link You Tube Videos to them.

Pretty amusing that the biggest limitation of Google Docs is exactly what I do not like about MS Office. That is that Google still lacks some of the advanced features that I use in Office. I am clearly not a power user of the Office Products, but like everyone, there are certain features that I have found that I rely on and use all the time. Google will get there with time as they seem to be constantly updating.

Plus, did I mention Google Docs is free? Anyway, check them out.

1 comment:

teebir said...

When it comes right down to it, Google Docs does just about everything I need. No doubt collaboration is great. But it's also nice to be able to open my documents from any computer.

I've started my school age children using it to do homework. It's nice being able to proof read there work (and edit) it from anywhere. Now if the school system would stop pushing Word. There is nothing my kids need in a word processor that Google Docs doesn't do.

One thing I do need in Google Docs is real headers/footers. There is no way to have, for example, automatic page numbers.

It's just a matter of time though.