Monday, October 06, 2008

Sick of FTP's, shared and external drives -- cloud computing is alive and well with box.net

I have 3 and counting external drives that I have countless amount of data stored for the infamous, "just in case" situation. So, we are talking about ~500GB of data. Some of it is necessary for immediate access and some of it, would be awesome to share with others.

I have easy access to an ftp site and it works, for the most part. It doesn't have a very slick interface and it is a real drag to "share" and "collaborate" with others. People constantly struggle accessing ftp sites.

I started cruising around looking for an alternative. A friend sent me a link to dropbox.com. Looked interesting, but fell short on some of the features I needed. I then found box.net. Here is a breakdown of the comparisons.


Not to mention, it will quickly become a staple for those that are entering the "netbook" way of life. I think what I love most about box.net, is that they have really seem to have thought of quite a few things - such as emailing docs via Google Mail & Outlook, working in conjunction with efax, blogger, zoho, twitter, facebook etc.. So, from a user's experience, I love that it is a multi-dimensional product. They even scored a deal with Autodesk to upload and translate certain CAD data.

Here is their CEO giving some of the details...



But, the biggest announcement is that they are partnering with Dell and are being bundled as a part of the new Dell mini 9. I love where all of this is going. I am going to see if I can score a Dell mini 9 with Ubuntu fully loaded and begin living and computing via the clouds.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Derrek,

If you are looking at a net book, I might suggest the MSI wind, or the equivalent EEE PC. You can get both with Windows of some flavor of Unix/Linux, they have either SSD or HDD. I was really looking hard at the Dell, but then decided against it due to its lack of F keys and some nuances with the keyboard layout. Also the price to storage was pretty high.

I personally went with the Wind. I love the thing! It has more storage than my last laptop, the proc actually benchmarks at the same levels of the last one, and it is in a smaller form factor all for $500 less. If you get the Wind, the 6 cell is very worth it.

Adam

Anonymous said...

Pretty good article. We have a similar solution which provides
a cloud based FTP server, API tools as well as all the file sharing functionality.

Find out more at: http://www.HostedFTP.com