Saturday, October 11, 2008

What would life be like with a netbook?

I am about to jump on the netbook train. If you are not familiar with the term netbook, check out the previous link to give you the low down. The easiest way to think about it; it's a small laptop that is designed to be mostly used to access the Internet. Lightweight, small hard drive , 9-10" screen, no CD-ROM etc. So, many people are probably thinking that it is a laptop to simply browse the web? Well, not exactly.

It is true that most of the interaction you have with the netbook will be via the Internet. But it goes beyond simple web browsers. It is a new way of thinking about computers. It is leveraging "software as a service" (SaaS). In general, the hard drives are very small, so most of the application and data is hosted "online". So, the need to be connected most of the time is a fundamental requirement. Probably not exactly feasible today, but with the adoption of 3G networks, it will be only a matter of time before we are connected all the time. Plus many applications like Google Docs allow you to mark files "offline".



I think when looking at a netbook, you have to keep it all in perspective. Being a CAD/CFD guy, I know that netbooks are not designed to drive these types of tools.

So here is a quick list of the essentials....

Operating System Ubuntu Linux
Office Applications OpenOffice & Google Docs
Voip & IMs Skype
Web Browsing Firefox
Email & Calendar Gmail
Online File Storage box.net
Work CRM System Salesforce.com



What's missing? Well, making the move to Linux always has it's drawbacks (netbooks are available with Windows). Here is a quick rundown of applications I need to replace - itunes, Snagit, Evernote..

Ok, so the big question, why spend $500 on a netbook??? For me, there are a handful of reasons.
  1. Portable device to travel with to reduce having to drag out my M6300.
  2. Inexpensive way to reacquaint with Ubuntu Linux.
  3. An easy way to experiment with an SaaS lifestyle.
  4. Expose my kids to computers & Linux at a very early age.
  5. A lightweight option to use when I'm in "web mode"
I am looking forward to reporting my findings. I expect some bumps in the road, but really excited to see the market that this product is trying to serve. I love seeing the videos out there showing how easily kids are picking up Linux. The idea of a Linux 'remix' has some huge potential moving forward. Remix is just a fancy word for customized UI of Ubuntu Linux.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having just stepped into the Google Docs world this year, and having been a longtime raving fan of SaaS (ala Salesforce.com), I "get it" when it comes to the reasoning behind a netbook. My early adoption timing is about 2 years beyond what it was when I was younger (pretty sure I found a gray hair or two already). So, this'll probably be on my plate for 2009.

Curious about your Linux requirement, though. Is that just a part of keeping it dirt cheap (open office, etc)? In other words, you can get a netbook with Windows, but is it significantly cheaper to go with Linux?

Derrek Cooper said...

good call, Jeff.. it may appear that I group the netbook lifestyle and linux together. Not at all.

all a personal opinion. You could easily adopt a netbook way of life with windows, MS Office the whole deal.

In fact, it may even be a bit easier to go that route as MS is making a big push for it with the Workspace concept..

Check out http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX102855291033.aspx

Personally, I am going with Linux simply because they are the "other guy". Nothing against MS, I run Vista and XP for work.

Same reason people people to go with a MAC that really don't need a MAC (non web people, folks just doing std internet type of stuff).

I am fascinated with the Open Source concept. Not sure it will ever go full mainstream, but the more I learn about what is going on in schools, in under developed countries and the vastness of Linux, I am definitely intrigued.

Derrek Cooper said...

I love OCD.. just placed my order with Dell. Grabbed the mini, ubuntu, 16GB HD, 1GB ram, external dvd (for my little girl to watch movies), speakers, mouse.. the whole deal. Pimped it out.
ship date is in a month...

WHAT??!!! isnt dell like the dudes where you order thurs, they promise monday and you get it friday.

hook me up!!!