Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Online Communities are the New Platform for Technical Support!!!

How many times have you called for tech support and have been prompted to press #2 for this, # 4 for that, #5 to repeat all of the options? However, what you are looking for doesn't seem to be one of the options? When you finally get someone on the phone, you feel like you get nowhere? Is it obvious, that I am not a fan of calling tech support? However, there are others out there that expect to pick up the phone and get someone live on the first ring - to each his own.

I am more into finding the answer myself. However, I don't like reading the help manual. I like trying to find information in a user forum. There is a great chance that another user, just like me, has run into the same issue. Many of our peers are kind enough to give you the solution to the problem. Sometimes members from the vendor are moderating and provide some valuable insight. Often, the information is provided in simple terms not long winded non-specific text that exists in the help manual. Others on the other hand, wouldn't know where to begin in a forum.

Some vendors are blazing the trail and are providing technical support via video. This is awesome! Remember, I am not a fan of reading the docs. However, there are some people that would rather read the docs cover to cover. I would rather watch someone do it, provide a quick demonstration and then allow me to try it myself. Others are overwhelmed with the fast pace of the video content. They feel like they are cheated if they can't read it word for word.

Another tech support model that is becoming popular is the Live Chat. You simply, log into the support site. Click the icon, it places you in a queue and you wait your turn. You receive a message that its your turn and you begin a instant message session with a support person. I LOVE this! Dell does it, my mobile phone provider has it. It allows me to do other things as I am waiting in the queue. Fortunate enough for me, I have two computers. So, when I need help with one, I chat on the other. Allows me to talk on the phone, answer email, tinker with my CAD model while at the same time getting valuable tech support. I know some people reading this think IMing is for the kids. Good, smaller queue for me.

Point is, there are various forms of technical support out there. Which do you prefer? I think you should have a choice. You should be able to get support the way you want it.

I like the idea of a "Community". Picture a website as an entry point where you can go for information and answers. You have options, watch a video, read or post to a forum, chat live with a support person, read FAQs, self-service for things such as license keys or even grab the number to give support a call. Next time you invest in new technology, push to find how support works? Make sure your "option" is available.

No comments: