Friday, December 14, 2007

Made in the USA is Taken for Granted

I just returned from a whirlwind trip to France and Switzerland. I love traveling to Europe. The scenery and culture are always fascinating. Plus, interacting with the engineering community is a continuous learning experience for me.

In many ways, it is exactly the same regardless of the country or region. But local customs and mindsets do prevail. Take CATIA for example. It is developed by Dassault Systemes in France. So, the major French auto makers, Peugeot and Renault both are heavy users. In addition, all of the affiliates are required to use it as well. Not much unlike it is with all of the auto makers. CATIA is definitely a powerful tool but it is undeniably the most difficult CAD system to operate. Just like anything, once you know it, all is well.

I asked some co-workers in France, what's the deal with CATIA? Is it a political thing? Are Dassault executives friends with the execs at the auto-makers? The simple response, "because they are both French companies". At first, I thought it was a secret "European" culture thing that we Americans wouldn't understand. But quickly I realized it made perfect sense. Of course a French company would by from another French company. I am sure there is more to it, but this is the simple explanation.

We used to hear "Made in the USA" all the time. It is something that is not positioned as much anymore. But maybe it is and we just take it for granted? Almost every single major CAD, FEA and CFD software package has been developed from the beginning in the US. It is something we on the sales side of things, simply state but take for granted. I think our customers take it for granted as well.


I think that I would see things differently if I was sitting in an engineering postion somewhere driving software made outside the US.



No comments: