Friday, March 14, 2008

VOIP: Skype vs. Yahoo! Voice

I am a bit obsessed with being connected and being able to communicate with anyone and everyone. I prefer instant messaging (texting) over email. I tend to use email for longer term things, where it may take some thought or where I do not need an immediate answer. But let's face it, I can be an impatient person. Most of the time, I need (want) an answer immediately.

I have written in previous posts about using MS Communicator for work and using Yahoo Messenger for everything else. But, recently I started using Skype to communicate with some friends and co-workers outside of the US. So, it may seem insane to use three separate messaging programs. But, each has features I like and I tend to use them based on what the person on the other end is using.

I have been using VOIP quite a bit lately. I have always used Yahoo Voice to call home when I am traveling outside of the US. But, I have been using Skype now to communicate for work. It is really convenient. I would love to be able to ditch my office phone (landline) altogether. I am almost always connected to the internet and when I am not I can be reached on my mobile phone. It is just much easier to have it all in one place. Skype has some really cool tools where you can quickly make calls on the fly.

So, why can't I just ditch my landline? For starters, I use Webex quite a bit and there are some bandwidth issues when using Webex and VOIP. Things are improving but still not perfect. There are some other issues as well.

YAHOO

+'s of Yahoo Voice

  • $0.01/min to call the US & UK regardless of where you are calling from, this is half of Skype

  • A fraction of a cent more to call France and Germany

  • For $2.50/month I have a local (Philadelphia) phone number that anyone can call and will ring at my computer

  • If I am away from my computer and receive a voicemail, it emails me an audio file which I can check on my phone or laptop

  • I can forward my office phone to my Yahoo # when abroad. Otherwise, I would have to pay long distance to check voice mail or receive forwarded calls.

  • My Yahoo # appears as a Caller Identification when I am calling landlines or mobile phones.

-'s of Yahoo Voice

  • There is no unlimited US calling. So, even though calls are $0.01/min, I would like the option to pay a monthly flat rate to call unlimited in the US. So, pretty much a show stopper for ditching my office phone.

  • The interface is a bit awkward when dialing landlines and mobiles

  • Not as accepted as Skype internationally

skype

+'s of Skype

  • Solid interface

  • Really cool tools built in to identify phone numbers in emails and websites to call directly

  • You pay $3/month for unlimited calling to US/Canada

  • $0.02/min to call internationally (twice that of Yahoo, but still cheap)

  • You can get a phone number for non-skype people to call you for $20/year

  • Call forwarding capability

-'s of Skype

  • They do not have caller id in the US when calling landlines and mobiles. This is essentially a show stopper for replacing an existing landline for business as people rarely will answer from an "UNAVAILABLE"

  • AMEX is not an accepted form of payment

  • If you use a VISA credit card, you are limited to $30/month. You have to use other forms - Pay Pal etc to get more. Apparently, that changes the longer you use it.

  • Skype mobile is still in its infancy in the US

So, because I am a geek for this type of stuff, I use both. So far so good. I would love to find a product that would do it all. The two show stoppers above would make me a dedicated user and huge evangelist for their products. Not sure anyone from Yahoo or Skype is reading? If so, hook me up.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always thought of myself as a gadget geek... was the first in my office to move from the Franklin Planner to the Palm Pilot (now I'm back to a paper planner all these years later!)... but, I'm falling behind on a few things. Just got my first iPod, for instance. I see people talking about Skype all the time, but not real sure what it's all about. Thanks for the info.

I did actually jump on the VOIP bandwagon a couple years ago with AT&T CallVantage. They compete directly with Vonage (which I tried first and found to be horrible call quality). Been real happy with CallVantage, but I don't think that's the same thing you are talking about, right?

I have a real telephone plugged into the back of my Callvantage box, which plugs into the internet. Sounds like you are plugging your phone or a headset right into the computer?

Derrek Cooper said...

That's right you can either plug a headset into the headset jack or USB. Works exactly the same way as Office Communicator. OC has the capability of calling instead of texting as well. Needs to be configured by IT etc.

So imagine that Yahoo and Skype are for the masses and OC is based on your own organizations network etc.

Skype etc support "external" devices but most people use their computer as the communication device. The cool thing in Europe (also in US on a smaller scale) is that you can have your mobile phone call via skype. So, all you really need is wifi access and you can make unlimited local calls for $3/month.

Imagine what will happen when broadband just exists everywhere. "Hotspots" will be a thing of the past.

Anonymous said...

Well at the first time to use VOIP, and I was compare between Skype vs Yahoo Voice. For price, Yahoo voice much more cheaper then Skype. But then I choose Skype because Skype already have the Skype for Windows Mobile, so I for me this is very use full because I can connect anytime using my Windows Mobile device.

I hope Yahoo also will provide a Yahoo Voice software for Windows Mobile or PDA, so more people can use the Voip without always using computer.

Anonymous said...

You can get a skype # for $20... Where at?

I don't see that anywhere on their website. I see $60 and a chance for 50% off.

Unknown said...

I was recently looking into both Yahoo Voice and Skype for my trip from Canada to UK. I find the "-" of both is there is no number for Canada. I have to use a US number for people to call which would prevent me from ever switching to these VOIP services back home. What I like about skype is it is now partnered with 3 mobile, so I can make skype calls to numbers back home from my mobile phone, wherever I am, for next to nothing (since I am on the unlimited US+Canada plan).

I noticed this was written last year. Have you switched over to Skype now that they have Caller ID?

Derrek Cooper said...

switched over for the last year plus to exclusively skype for work. All in all, I love it.. Caller id is huge, call fwd is great, quality has gotten better - but still can be an issue.

I just got off a webex, where we were screen sharing, I was on skype and downloading a 600MB file, quality was great!!

Biggest wishlist..

1. Ability to check vm on the web- right now, I get an email that a vm has been left and have to login to skype to check vm

2. Improving linux client. Pretty outdated vs. win

3. Fully support skype calls on iphone

Unknown said...

Have you looked into SpinVox for voicemail? SpinVox converts the message to an email or SMS text message to your phone. I am not sure the quality of this, but it is "learning" new words everyday. Apparently, you can hook up Skype voicemail to SpinVox for an additional charge.

I use Fring right now on my iphone in Canada, but the quality is terrible. I wish that there would be a US or Canadian carrier that would support skype like Three in the UK.

dfowler said...

I have been looking everywhere for a comment about interoperability between skype and yahoo for pc-to-pc operations? Is it one or the other? If, so are these technical or marketing limitations?