Wednesday, April 02, 2008

A Quick Spin on Wattage Training

As with everything in my life, I am either all-in or nothing. In an effort to be healthier and greener, I am jumping into the bicycling community. I pick my new bike up next week, so I will get to that later. But in the meantime, I picked up a free rag at REI that covers various sporting activities.

There was a really cool article on "Wattage Training". In essence its a fairly new way which athletes measure their performance. For years, people measured heart rates etc. But measuring your Power, makes perfect sense. Super excited to be able to include a formula.

Where,


P = Power


F = Force at the pedal


V = Velocity


C = Cadence

So in simple terms, if I ride for one hour up hills, into a head wind it may require 1000 kilojoules (kj) of work. But if I was cruising along an easy flat surface with a nice tail wind, it may take me 2.5 hours to do the same amount of work. This method also provides a great way to determine the amount of calories that are burned as well.

Totally paraphrasing this poor guy's article, go check it out at the link above.

Anyway, I thought I needed to add this little gadget to my new gear. Bit pricey for a newbie, but someday I am jumping on this.


No comments: