Sunday, April 13, 2008

Remoting into your Remote Office???

It is often the case that you need to gain access to your "other" computer. Whether you are in a colleague's office, at home or traveling. If you are on the network, you can always use Remote Desktop in Windows. Seems to work ok, but definitely has its issues.

Since I work remote, I have a small little network that I can use Remote Desktop to view my desktop from my laptop. Works fairly well when I am downstairs and do not feel like running upstairs to check on a model. But what happens when I am on the road? I cannot seem to use Remote Desktop. The documentation claims that there is a "web" option, but I can never seem to get it to work.


Enter GoToMyPC. It is a web based system that you can connect to any computer as long as you have an Internet connection. It works really well. While in Europe, I have been able to successfully connect to my desktop back in the US, even with a slow connection. I can run applications as well as copy files back and forth with only a small delay.

I am interested to hear if people have had similar experience with Remote Desktop in Windows?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Coop,

To get Remote Desktop working from the road you probably have to open up the remote desktop port in your router. I could help you with that. Each computer needs to have its own setup in your router and you have to have a custom port for each. Really easy to do.

-Royce