Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Autodesk University 2008: Day One

What a day! Autodesk truly has some amazing products. I learned a ton of stuff in fields that are pretty foreign to me, (GIS, Architecture, Urban Planning etc). I also learned quite a bit about products that I use everyday.

Here are some of my take aways..

"The future is innovation led by design." This was the overwhelming message that was emphasized over and over again throughout the keynote led by Carl Bass and some of the guest speakers. Seems pretty obvious, but Autodesk is positioning themselves as a design company and are raising the bar to include some pretty amazing optimization across numerous industries.


"Experience it before its real" The CTO, Jeff Kowalski, showed some of the things being worked on in the Labs at Autodesk. It involved, high end rendering and visualization, combining 2d & 3d mapping software and optimization where the software selects the optimal design for you.

I sat in on an API course for Inventor. It has come along way. There are a ton of things that can be automated in Inventor that users should be using everyday. Levels of detail is only scratching the surface.

But by far the coolest thing I saw was Inventor Fusion Technology. In essence, it is super streamlined hybrid modeling for Inventor. I saw it as a standalone product, which personally, I think they should offer it in both varieties- standalone and inside Inventor. But coming from a Simulation perspective, it is one of the coolest, modelers I have ever seen.

No doubt, it is in direct response to Spaceclaim, Synchronous Technology from Siemens and other hybrid modeling solutions. Its pretty convincing that hybrid modeling will play a major role in the future of MCAD. From a user's perspective, the more the merrier. Meaning, each vendor will be fighting for to be the best, which should result in some awesome technology.

No comments: