Wednesday, December 24, 2008

History of CAD by Jon Hirschtick

I snagged this little gem from Ben Eadie's blog, Solid Mentor. I thought it was a great video to sit back and reflect upon. Jon is a great presenter and obvious visionary. I was fortunate to attend some of the SolidWorks Worlds' in the early days. His presentations always have everyone sitting on the edge of their seats, mentally recording every word. Always fascinating to see the new guy come onto the scene, make a ruckus but then dominate.


History of CAD from Ben Eadie on Vimeo.

I am anxious to see what the future brings. I think we are on the verge of seeing some big breakthroughs on the CAE front. Some of my own predictions.

  1. I think touch screens will make a breakthrough into the CAE market in the very near-term and change the way we interact with our computers/models.
  2. 3D Printing will become much more popular as performance, as well as fit and function become more and more important.
  3. Social Media will change the way engineer's communicate and collaborate. Perhaps slow to adopt this type of technology, but once adopted it will grow exponentially.
  4. Upfront CAE will become an integral part of the "designers" day to day.
  5. Direct/hybrid modeling is here to stay. I dont think parametrics will go away, but the hybrid, push and pull (w. optional dimensions and constraints) will be the modeling approach moving forward.

    Agree or disagree? Bring It!

No comments: