Wednesday, December 31, 2008

In 2009, Make it your best year ever!

Usually at this time of year, I am cleaning up my office, cleaning up computers, doing a bit of reflection and getting ready for the new year. This year was certainly one for the record books in my life. So the dust seems to be settling later this year than ever before. I worked primarily in Europe and feel like I earned 5 years of experience in just 12 months. It was fascinating to visit and begin to understand how engineering organizations operate in various countries.

My biggest take-away this year is to stick to my guns, listen, learn and respect those around me and push myself to strive to be better everyday. Everyday should be better than the day before.

There is definitely a sense of uneasiness in the air on the state of world lately. I think 2009 will be an extremely tough year. The strong will survive, many will struggle and some will fail like never before.

Blame can be passed around and rightfully so. But the fact is that "it is what it is". It is an absolute requirement that everyone has to suck it up and make the best of a crappy situation and show the world what you are all about.

If you are worried, maybe a little scared? You're not alone. Acknowledge the fear and move on and do something about it.

Personally, I am feeling optimistic. More than optimistic, actually. I plan to do exactly what I know how to do. Work hard, work smart, engage with people, build relationships and help engineers overcome their design challenges.

Whatever it is that you do. Make sure you do it this year better than you ever did it before. You owe it to yourself and to everyone else!

Happy New Year, everyone!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Right on Derrek, keep on trucking!
Happy New Years - 2009
Learn from the past, look forward and help those around you.
-Kurt
www.SigmaS4.com